If you can tolerate eggs, this is a real gem. It’s a great light dinner option as it is a hearty breakfast option full of proteins and good fats. I’m in love with oysters for their nutritional properties and what they do for people following the thyroid diet; oyster is the highest food in zinc which is a mineral very often deficient in people with thyroid conditions. Zinc deficiency is one of the reasons why we are not converting T4 to T3 hormone. Zinc is known to also boost the immune system which should be the healing priority for people with thyroid challenges (since 90% of thyroid diseases are autoimmune conditions). And yes, it is an aphrodisiac so use it strategically ;-).
- 6 small eggs or 4 large ones
- 8oz of fresh oysters (you can also use smoked ones from a can)
- 1 red or green pepper
- 1 large leek, sliced in rings
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 handful of parsley, chopped
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (skip it if you are following the Thyroid-GAPS diet)
- 2 tablespoons of lard, beef tallow, ghee or coconut oil
- Roast the pepper directly over stove fire; don’t worry the skin will burn but the pepper will be ok, turn it every few minutes till it’s well charred and the skin peels off easily.
- Melt the fat in a large frying pan and sautee the leeks and celery till soft and slightly browned.
- Add roasted pepper, chopped to smalled pieces.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then add fish sauce, salt, oysters, parsley and rosemary.
- Combine the dry ingredients: rice flour and baking powder in another bowl.
- Slowly stir in the dry ingredients to the egg bowl to make a smooth batter.
- Add the batter to the sautee veggies, give them a gentle stir and cover.
- Cook on reduced fire for 15-20 minutes till the top is firm.
- Optionally, turn the pancake over to another frying pan (same size) to let the top cook even more.
If you want to find the best recipes for you, as well as:
- Evaluate why you are gaining weight even though your diet and lifestyle have not changed and you tried so many things
- Understand why you are feeling fatigued even after a full night’s sleep
- Learn why you are often constipated, bloated and having indigestion issues, then
look up what a thyroid diet coach can do for you.